Sunday, November 16, 2008

What to do with Leftover Squash and Coconut Milk

I'll admit I was a little nervous trying this combination. This was a case of use-the-stuff-in-the-fridge. In this case, it was some leftover parsley, butternut squash, and half a can of coconut milk. What a creamy, rich flavor this turned into! Here's what I did:

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

1 cup chopped butternut squash
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup cheap merlot wine
3/4 to 1 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 to 2 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
salt
freshly ground pepper

Spray bottom of soup pot with cooking oil (I used Pam because it was on hand). Heat pot and add squash and pepper and saute for 5 minutes. Add red wine and reduce (about 5 minutes). Add vegetable broth, parsley, and coconut milk and heat until the veggies are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I also added 1/3 cup rehydrated TVP. You can even add seitan or edamame, if you like.

No comments: