Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cheese Steak Withdrawal

I live in the land of cheese steaks. Mind you, I went veggie way too early, for I have never had either a Pat's or a Geno's authentic Philly cheese steak (shame on me). But thanks to some wonderful contributor on Vegweb.com, I now have what could be a rival to the best - a veggie version and one that pleases even my meat-eating kids.

Again, I've adapted this to fit with our tastes.

Seitan Cheese Steaks

1 container of Ray's Wheat Meat (I get this at Whole Foods)
2 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
cheese slices (I use provolone, but you can use vegan cheese if you prefer)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
steak rolls

Cut seitan into strips or other small chunks per your own preference. Put into covered bowl with broth and soy sauce. Let it marinate while you saute the vegetables.

Saute vegetables until soft. Set aside. Add seitan to skillet and brown. Add the marinade to the skillet, reducing it until it's thick. Turn off heat.

Pile seitan into steak rolls and add sauteed veggies and a slice of cheese on top. If you want to melt the cheese, give it a zap in the microwave. Serve with plenty of napkins!

No comments: