Friday, November 14, 2008

Mark's Favorite Chili

Maybe it's the weather today, which is damp and cold, but I'm in the mood for chili. I made one for my husband the other day that was such a hit he begged me to write it down. Here you go. Note that even though this has no tomato in it, I still consider it chili. Why? Because I add chili powder. That's all that ties this to chili.

Mark's Favorite Chili

2 carrots, chopped small
2 celery stalks, chopped small
1 green pepper, chopped small (see a pattern here?)
1/2 cup red wine (I used cheap stuff - Three Blind Moose)
1 can kidney beans, rinsed
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. chili powder
2 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the vegetables for 5 minutes until they soften a bit. Add wine and reduce for five more minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Enjoy!


You'll notice that I don't use onion or garlic. He's not a fan. Feel free to add them with the other veggies if you like. You can even add some seitan or TVP (textured vegetable protein) to this for some more texture.

No comments: